Verse Of The Day

Thursday, September 04, 2008

Error 2 (net::ERR_FAILED): Unknown error.

Well, so much for Google Chrome, at home at least. I installed at work yesterday (XP Pro) and used it all day. Started to kind of like it, albeit some features I am used to are not there, yet. (See yesterday's post for my first impressions.)

But once I got home and installed it on my laptop (XP home), every page I go to gives me an error saying the webpage is not available. Firefox and IE work fine, my firewall settings are to allow Chrome to access, everythign looks good. I reinstalled with no luck, I disabled my firewall, no luck.

So I installed on my desktop (XP as well), and same thing. I can get to the main Google page but cannot search. I got to Microsoft's homepage, but can't go anywhere from there. Same thing, where Firefox and IE work fine.

Several issues we posted on Google Code site for this error so it's not just in my imagination, here are a few samples (search for error msg, there were about 10-12 when I posted this)....
I guess it is a beta, so instead of whining I will just stop using it until the next version comes out.

This webpage is not available.

The webpage at might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

More information on this error

Below is the original error message

Error 2 (net::ERR_FAILED): Unknown error.


Andy Noble said...

I've also had this problem with Chrome, but only after I got the virus Antivirus XP 2008... I don't know whether they are related, but i know I haven't been able to fully get rid of the virus yet...

Ricardo said...

andy it happened exactly the same to me! I got the virus this morning and besides firefox pages displaying incorrectly (text too big, and other too small, I think the virus messed up my fonts), google chrome doesn't open any pages. and it messed up my system restore, so I kinda have my hands tied

Dan Scanlon said...

I got the same error after i got "Antivirus XP 2008" HELP!!

Deld said...

O_O same problem here guys, i just got the Adware.Agent.BN and the RogueAntySpyware.VirusRemover2008 which f**kd up my desktop and kept bringing on advertising pop=ups... and as i've noticed it screwd Chrome too in some way :/
For those who didn't remove completely the virus or the other adware they had... i STRONGLY recomend the PC tools software, which include a Spyware Doctor... VERY effective (i think i remember they are the no.1 this year?!)

Anonymous said...

Hi. I had the same problem in Chrome, and in IE7 e FF3 some sites had large fonts. I did a spyware scan that revelead some trojans.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ (Malware.Trace)
C:\WINDOWS\system32\casino1.ico (Malware.Trace)
C:\WINDOWS\system32\casino2.ico (Malware.Trace)
C:\WINDOWS\system32\casino3.ico (Malware.Trace)
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tdssadw.dll (Trojan.Agent)
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tdssl.dll (Trojan.Agent)
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tdssmain.dll (Trojan.Agent)
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tdssinit.dll (Trojan.Agent)
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tdsslog.dll (Trojan.Agent)
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tdssservers.dat (Trojan.Agent)
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\tdssserv.sys (Trojan.Agent)
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\svchost.exe (Heuristics.Reserved.Word.Exploit)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit (Malware.Trace) -> Data: c:\windows\system32\
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit (Malware.Trace) -> Data: system32\

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\tdssdata (Trojan.Agent)

After remove them with Malwarebytes all back to normal and Chrome is working fine.

Niégal Krúxluimid said...

Antivirus XP 2008 is a malware from the RBN (Russian Business Network), advertised via Trojan Horses :)


Install antiviruses from trustable sources.

Anonymous said...

It's easy to fix just go to control panel and delete files you have recently downloaded or anything suspicious. Sometimes this error is caused by Relevant Knowledge or programs similar look it up you might have a program similar to it.

Anonymous said...

the problem always occurs. i have kaspersky virus protection... but i do not know if that has anything do do with it. does my computer have a virus??

Beldougie said...

I don't think this is virus related to be honest. I came across this issue while working on a website I'm building. The error was thrown when my code had an error and would have suppressed output of that error to the screen (in this case, resulting in a blank screen). So I think Chrome is actually just handling the returned error header codes poorly...

(that's not to say a virus couldn't be causing it as well, but I don't have any viruses on my system! :D)

Anonymous said...

I know lots are being plagued by this predicament of "Error 2 (net::ERR_FAILED): Unknown error." And here is the solution I achieved in Vista Firewall. When adding a rule, Vista typically uses variables in its file path, such that the following being Chrome's rule path:


But when I convert the file path to be more "direct" like:


It works!

P.S. I am sure other OS users facing the same problem will find the above solution competent.